How to investigate EU sanctions.
Sanctions are a popular tool of foreign policy. The EU and its member states uses a variety of embargoes and visa restrictions to signal its anger at certain foreign governments. However, the way the lists of sanctioned persons or companies is not public.
They can be changed upon request by a member state. They can be overrun by having a member state invite a sanctioned person under a function for which he is not sanctioned (Belarus President Lukashenko cannot have a visa, but Belarus head of Olympic committee Lukashenko can).
Questions to answer during the workshop
* Are there any other list of sanctions?
* What role do sanctions play in investigative stories?
* Is there a methodology we can set up to help journalists investigate?
* How EU companies manage to get their product to Russia
* How persons under a travel ban manage to get to Europe
* How the volume of sanctions evolved
* Lists of sanctions, gathered by @pudo: http://pudo.org/material/opennames/